Tossed Salad with Seafood or Chicken
- Cooked or raw vegetables (your choice, and as many as you want) :
Lettuce, Tomatoes, Cucumbers, Peppers, Onions, Fennel, Celery,
Radishes, Mushrooms, Asparagus, Hearts of Palm, Leeks, Green beans,
- 1 medium portion (4 ounces) fresh fish, shrimp or chicken
- Vinagrette with 1 tablespoon oil
Try one of these great combinations:
1. Combine shredded white cabbage, grated green apples, and horseradish.
2. Combine bean sprouts, grated carrots, shrimp.
3. Asparagus tips, artichoke hearts, scampi.
4. Combine tomatoes, lettuce, tuna.
5. Combine fennel, strips of red peppers, mussels.
6. Combine green beans, shallots, sliced chicken.
Mediterranean Chicken Salad
- 1/2 cup dried orzo (rice-shaped pasta), about 3 ounces
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons water or condensed chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons vinegar of your choice (rice, tarragon, balsamic,
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon (optional)
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- Pepper to taste (add salt to taste if you wish)
- 3 cups diced, cooked chicken breast (about 4 breasts, or the meat
shredded from a rotisserie chicken
- 1 1/3 cup cherry tomato halves
- 6 oz jar marinated artichoke hearts, well-drained, rinsed, and
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped kalamata olives
- 1/4 cup dried currants (optional)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons drained capers
- 4 tablespoons toasted pine nuts* (optional
- 4 tablespoons toasted pine nuts* (optional)
1. Cook orzo in a medium saucepan of boiling salted water until just
tender but still firm to the bite (about 8 minutes). Rinse under cold
water, drain well, and let cool. Put in a medium bowl.
2. Add olive oil, tomato paste, water, vinegar, fresh tarragon, lemon
juice, and mustard to a small bowl or food processor, and pulse or whisk
to blend well. Season dressing to taste with pepper and salt, if
3. Add chicken to cooked orzo along with tomatoes, artichoke hearts,
kalamata olives, currants, and capers. Drizzle dressing over the top,
4. Serve each large scoop of chicken salad on a bed of romaine or
spinach leaves, and sprinkle toasted pine nuts over the top.
* Toast the pine nuts in a toaster oven until golden brown, or put in a
nonstick frying pan and heat over medium heat, stirring often, until
Cranberry Turkey Salad
- 2 cups cooked turkey breast, cubed
- 4 cups romaine lettuce, torn into small pieces
- 1 large red apple, cored and cut into small pieces
- 1 orange peeled and segmented (or use a small can of mandarin
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 3 tablespoons walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 3 kiwifruit, peeled and sliced
- Dressing Ingredients:
1 cup jellied whole-berry cranberry sauce
1/4 cup frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
1. In a medium bowl, combine turkey, apple pieces, cranberries, orange,
2. In a small bowl, mix cranberry sauce and orange juice concentrate.
3. Arrange lettuce leaves among four plates.
4. Just before serving gently toss turkey mixture with dressing.
5. Garnish with kiwi slices.
Santa Barbara Chicken Salad
This pasta and fruit chicken salad is perfect for a picnic in the
Santa Barbara wine country.
- 2 cups cooked whole-wheat blend pasta (or use regular pasta)
- 1 cup roasted skinless chicken breast meat, cubed
- 2 stalks celery, finely diced
- 1 large apple, peeled, cored, and chopped
- 1/2 cup seedless grapes, halved
- 6 ounce can (in juice) pineapple tidbits, drained
- 3 tablespoons light mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons fat-free sour cream
- 1 tablespoon fat-free half-and-half or low-fat milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
1. Chill pasta and chicken thoroughly.
2. Mix chicken, celery, apples, grapes, pineapple, mandarin oranges, and
pasta in large bowl.
3. Mix the light mayonnaise, fat-free sour cream, fat-free half-and-half
or low-fat milk, sugar, salt (if desired), pepper and nutmeg.
4. Combine mayonnaise and chicken mixtures and toss. Store in the
4 side-dish servings (or 2 entrée servings)
The Broccoli and Everything Salad
- 3 cups raw broccoli, chopped
- 1 cup seedless raisins
- 2 strips lean Canadian bacon
- 1/2 cup red onion, chopped
- Vegetable Dressing
1/4 cup low calorie mayonnaise
1/2 cup plain nonfat yogurt
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon vinegar
1. In large bowl, combine chopped broccoli, raisins, cooked diced bacon,
and raw chopped onions.
2. Combine dressing ingredients and stir well.
3. Add dressing to combined ingredients, and stir to coat evenly.
Southwest BBQ Chicken Salad
A lighter barbecue chicken mixture uses skinless shredded chicken
breast blended with barbecue sauce and green onions. Instead of French
fried onions, this recipe calls for black beans. A light dressing finishes
- 2 cups shredded boneless, skinless roasted or grilled chicken breast
- 1 cup black beans (from can), drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce (mild or hot, depending on your preference)
- 1/2 cup fresh, chopped cilantro (optional)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green onions
- 8 cups dark green salad greens (from a bag or from lettuce heads,
torn into pieces and rinsed)
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup frozen corn, very lightly microwaved and chilled in
- 1 cup black beans (about one 15-ounce can, drained)
- 1/3 cup light ranch dressing (light blue cheese can also be used)
- Handful of tortilla chips (optional)
- Add chicken, beans, barbecue sauce, cilantro (if desired) and green
onions to a medium bowl and toss to blend well; set aside.
- In large salad bowl, add salad greens, tomatoes, and corn and toss
to mix. Portion mixture evenly into 4 individual salad bowls and top
with a fourth of the chicken mixture.
- Drizzle light ranch dressing evenly over the top of the four salad
servings. Garnish each serving with a couple of tortilla chips, if
4 entrée salad servings