alleviating arthritis in dogs.
Green-lipped mussel (Perna canaliculus) is a New Zealand shellfish, from which an extract has been shown to be useful in the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis .
Green-lipped mussel inhibits inflammation in the body. Although inflammation is normal under certain conditions, consistent inflammation can result in pain and damage to the body, including the joints.
Green-lipped mussels are found in the oceans off New Zealand. In supplement form, green-lipped mussel is available as a lipid extract or a freeze-dried powder. Green lipped mussel extract is also combined with other arthritis treatments. When you buy a product containing green lipped mussel, it comes in two forms one which is stabilized with a preservative and the other is not. Recent animal studies have compared the two forms and found a stabilized lipid extract to be significantly more effective than a non-stabilized extract at decreasing inflammation. Because both forms are currently available on PON owners need to read the label carefully to choose the stabilized form.
Further information on arthritis :
1. Henrotin Y et al. "Pharmaceutical and nutraceutical management of canine osteoarthritis: present and future perspectives." Vet J. 170, 1:113-23, 2005. www.elsevier.com
2. Deparle LA et al. "Efficacy and safety of glycosylated undenatured type-II collagen (UC-II) in therapy of arthritic dogs." J Vet Pharmacol Ther. 28, 4:385-90, 2005. www.blackwell-synergy.com
3. D’Altilio M et al. "Safety and Therapeutic Efficacy of Denatured Type II Collagen Alone, and in Combination with Glucosamine and Chondroitin in Arthritic Dogs." 45th Annual Meeting of the Society of Toxicology, San Diego, CA, Volume 90:1, Abs 1682, Pg 344, March 2006.
4. Bui LM et al. "Influence of green lipped mussels (Perna canaliculus) in alleviating signs of arthritis in dogs." Vet Ther. 4, 4:397-407, 2003.
5. Moreau M et al. "Clinical e