Bavarian Apple Torte
1/2 c butter
1/3 c sugar
1/4 tsp vanilla
1 c flour
2 – 8 oz pkg. cream cheese
1/2 c sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1/3 cup sugar
½ tsp cinnamon
3 c thinly sliced apples
½ c sliced almonds
Base: Cream butter, sugar and vanilla. Blend in flour. Spread dough on bottom and a little up the sides, of a 9 or 10” spring-form pan.
Filling: Beat softened cream cheese and sugar. Add egg and vanilla; mix well. Pour into pastry-lined pan.
Topping: Mix together sugar and cinnamon. Toss apples in sugar mix and spoon mixture over cream layer or arrange in orderly pattern and sprinkle with sugar mixture. Top with almonds. Bake at 400F for 10 min. Reduce temp to 375F. Continue baking 45 min. Cool slightly before removing rim of pan.
- 4 eggs - separated
- 3/4 cup milk
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 3 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 cup white corn flour
- 1/4 millet flour
- 1/4 cup potato starch
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- Beat the egg whites until stiff and set aside
- Beat egg yolks well and add milk, water, melted butter and vanilla
- Add blended dry ingredients and beat until smooth
- Fold in beaten egg whites.
Bake on pre-heated waffle griddle.
Apple Hazelnut Pancakes
- Dry-fry chopped hazelnuts in non-stick skillet on low heat, stirring for a few minutes, until you smell the nice aroma of the nuts. You can also roast them whole in the oven, on a pie plate. This may take 10 - 15 minutes, then chop or grind them. You can freeze them this way.
- Mix dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Stir in the combined egg, buttermilk and oil, to make a thick batter.
- Add grated apple and hazelnuts.
- Drop by serving spoon onto pre-heated griddle.
- Cook between low and medium heat until tiny bubbles form on top. Flip and cook other side until golden.
- Keep warm on oven proof plate in 175 F oven.
- This makes 12 large, thick pancakes.