Polish Lowland Sheepdog - pons - pon the dog




Hagabergsliden Kennel

(Ragna Hellberg - breeder, Sweden)




PON Proofing Your Home


PON puppies are ultra cute and lots of  fun as they dash around your home. They are filled with energy and curious about everything around them. As PON owners it is our job as  responsible owners to PON proof our homes to make it safe for them to grow and develop as good representatives of our beloved breed.

One of the first tasks of owners is to go room to room on your hands and knees. Observe your home from your PON's perspective. Think about what is at that level that may be interesting and you may be astonished to find many things that are potentially dangerous that you never even thought of before !!

One thing you should be aware of is the location of electrical cords. Make sure to limit your PON's access to these areas. PONS can quickly chew through cords and get electrocuted causing serious injury or even death. Wrap cords up and store them away or lay down rubber or plastic runners that can be purchased at local home supply stores.

Your stairs are potentially dangerous for PON puppies. Small puppies have a hard time navigating up and down stairs and may easily stumble and injure themselves. Stairs also lead to areas in your house that may be off limits. The best way to ensure that your PON stays away from the stairs is to purchase baby gates, available at Babies R US and other such local stores.

Similar to curious toddlers are, PONS are very curious about what is inside cabinets. Many people store cleaning supplies and personal care products in cabinets that can be accessible to puppies. Often these products contain harmful ingredients that can injure or kill your PON. Make sure to either store these products in cabinets that are out of reach to puppies, or purchase plastic cabinet locks that are available at most department and pet supply stores.

PONS seem to be attracted to shoes and socks and they love to chew on them. Not only will this ruin your favorite shoes, if a puppy were to chew on and swallow a shoelace or a sock, it could get wrapped around their intestines causing serious injury or death. Make sure to store your shoes and socks out of reach of your PON, and NEVER encourage them to chew on these items, no matter how cute it may be.

As you might imagine, household bleach is toxic to all dogs. Keep all products containing bleach out of your PON's reach. Symptoms of bleach poisoning include drooling, vomiting, and abdominal pain. Do NOT induce vomiting if you suspect your PON has ingested bleach and contact your family veterinarian immediately.

As little as two regular strength Tylenol tablets can kill a PON. Dogs lack the proper liver enzymes to break down acetaminophen. Signs of toxicity include drooling, lethargy, and abdominal pain. If you suspect your PON has ingested Tylenol, call your veterinarian immediately.

Moth balls are very dangerous to dogs. They contain an insecticide that causes central nervous system excitement and seizures. When metabolized, ingestion of moth balls can lead to liver failure. Symptoms of poisoning by moth balls include vomiting and seizures. If your PON has digested moth balls, do NOT induce vomiting. Seek veterinary care immediately.

 Fabric Softeners and other detergents are toxic to dogs at one level or another, but softeners fall into the highly toxic category. Signs of toxicity include vomiting, lethargy, burns to the mouth, drooling, muscle weakness, and even coma. Do NOT induce vomiting if your PON has ingested any detergent. Contact your veterinarian immediately.

 Mouthwash can contain boric acid which is highly toxic to dogs. Symptoms of poisoning by mouthwash include vomiting, drooling, seizures, and coma. You should take your PON to the veterinarian immediately if you suspect poisoning by mouthwash or other household item containing boric acid like contact lens solution or denture cleaner.

With most fruits, the pits and the seeds are toxic to dogs. Signs of poisoning include drooling, vomiting, and lethargy. If you suspect your PON has eaten a peach pit or the pit or seeds of any fruit, take him to the veterinarian immediately.

This list can be extended to include chocolate, household plants,etc. and other household items. Use common sense and make sure you PON proof your home in about the same manner as you once baby proofed your home in days gone by. Good luck !